There are numerous benefits to be gained by regularly servicing and cleaning your HVAC system. Here I will give a brief details and explanation of these benefits.
- A clean and well maintained HVAC system runs more efficiently with lower energy costs. When an HVAC system is clean, it doesn’t have to work as hard to sustain the temperature you desire.
- A well maintained system will also be much more reliable and less prone to breakdowns thus saving you money on future repairs and necessary spare parts.
- The two most critical areas for cleaning are the condensing unit coils and evaporator coils. This is where the heat exchange takes place when the unit is running in cool mode. The buildup of dirt and dust acts as an insulator and reduces the efficiency of the heat transfer. When the buildup is considerable it also can choke the air flow through the coils further reducing the unit’s effectiveness.
- The type of cleaning method used is very important. The factors that have to be taken into consideration when making a decision of the best method to use are ,the local climate, the type of duct work and filters installed. Systems installed in regions with high humidity units are much more likely to be affected by microbial contamination, which necessitate more aggressive cleaning techniques. The long term effectiveness and success of the job depends greatly on selecting the correct cleaning technique.
How regularly should home residential HVAC systems be cleaned?
The Frequency of cleaning depends on a number of factors. Here are some of the most prevalent reasons that may lead a homeowner to consider cleaning more frequently.
- If the home occupants suffer from asthma or other allergies, and are sensitive to air pollutants in their home’s HVAC system.
- If there are smokers living in the household.
- If there are pets that shed large amounts of hair.
- It is recommended to have a thorough cleaning of your system after major home renovations, because of the dirt and dust generated.